The gruesome condition which sounds horrifying and makes your jaw movement uneasy is worth noticing.
An Overview of Jaw Locking
Articular disk, a piece of cartilage lies inside the jaw joint. This disk sits between two pieces of joint and helps to move smoothly. The disc is held on the place by the ligament, but if this ligament has worn out; it is possible for the disc to dislocate from the place.
The above situation can be termed as trismus, is basically an abnormal condition of the jaw muscles. There are three muscles of mastication, which help you to chew your food, but in case of locked jaw flexibility of mouth gets distorted.
4 reasons for the locked jaw:
- Tetanus: This can damage muscles and hamper your nervous system. In this case, it will not only affect the jaw muscles but at the same time, it concerns your mortality.
- Infections in salivary gland can also lead to your locked jaw. You can have the fever and also might suffer from jaw pain on the other side.
- TMD affects more than 10 million people in the world; there are many reasons that can cause you, osteoarthritis or gout.
- If you overuse the jaw for chewing and yawning it can affect your muscles and restrict your jaw movement.
Following are the symptoms of the locked jaw:
- You will be unable to swallow or breathe normally.
- Jaw muscles will pain and you won’t be able to breathe normally.
- You can hear sound in jaw movement.
- Reduce range of motion in the temporomandibular joint.
- Restrict movement while chewing, smiling, whistling or yawning.
The solution for your locked jaw:
- You can do exercise to keep your jaw muscles strong. You need to relax your body muscle, mainly shoulder. Keep your lower and upper teeth separately from each other by relaxing your tongue.
- Move the lower jaw horizontally, as far as possible.
- Take your thumb under your chin with little pressure. Open your mouth as wide as you can with the resistance of thumb.
- You can also use a hot compressor to relax your muscles and increase blood flow. The preferable temperature of the hot compressor is between 40 to 45 degree Celsius. Soak a towel in clean and hot water and compress in the desired area for half an hour.
- Try to take vitamin D; this is highly preferable for adults.
- Magnesium plays an important role in the human body, consist of muscle and nerve functions.
Not being able to open your mouth properly sounds like a great discomfort and no one likes to face something like this. Jaw locking should be considered as a serious problem as it can lead to major health issues or even death. Hence, people who are facing this should immediately consult a doctor or head to their nearby clinic as soon as possible.
You can even contact us for free consultancy regarding this issue. We will give proper insight into the problem and will also highlight why it should be treated immediately. Call us @(214) 643-8146